Few people manage to quit smoking the first time. On average, seven to eight attempts are needed to get rid of the addiction. Do not be discouraged by failure, but prepare for change. you are at the right place to know how to quit smoking?
Learn 10 tips to quit smoking
Half of the smokers think about quitting. If you also dream about it, learn 10 ways that will help you:
See what situations from everyday life you associate with a cigarette.
It can be drinking morning coffee, stress at work, watching a movie, reading a newspaper, meeting friends, talking on the phone. It is very individual for every smoker.
- Extracting such moments allows you to think about how you can deal with the void caused by the lack of a cigarette.
- Each smoker should find their own method to replace smoking.
The persistent thought of lighting a cigarette appears in the head for about 2-3 minutes. Then it is worth directing your attention to something else, e.g. an activity that is currently being performed.
If a cigarette was a way to kill boredom, then you better find another occupation, such as cleaning, calling long-lost friends, playing with a dog, going out on a bike, reading a book, etc. Over time, the daily rituals that were associated with the cigarette.
Accept that the first days can be difficult.
- The first four days are the most difficult, because then – due to the lack of nicotine in the body – there are so-called withdrawal symptoms.
This is because nicotine is highly addictive. You need to be prepared for the receptors in the brain to demand the next dose of nicotine, and the person quitting smoking will fight the persistent desire to reach for another cigarette.
Do not believe in myths: smoking does not calm you down at all.
One of the myths about smoking is the belief that cigarettes help relieve tension.
Nicotine has a stimulating effect on the body. It causes general revival and an increase in blood pressure. In addition, dopamine is released in the brain as a result of inflammation, i.e. happiness hormone and the smoker achieves temporary relief, so there is a misconception that smoking calms down.
Contrary to what smokers think, the opposite is true: smoking increases stress because when nicotine levels drop in the body, i.e. several times a day, it provokes irritability, a decrease in concentration and mental tension.
When we quit smoking, it is worth finding an alternative method to fight unpleasant emotions, e.g. start playing sports, go for yoga, learn relaxation techniques.
Health benefits of quitting smoking:
- Just 20 minutes after the last cigarette is put out, the pulse and blood pressure return to normal.
- After 24 hours, your lungs will start to clear up.
- After 3 days, nicotine is removed from the body, more intensely tastes and smells.
- After 5 years of abstinence, the risk of developing lung, mouth, larynx and esophagus cancer will be halved, and the risk of stroke will also decrease.
Avoid situations that are associated with smoking.
It is worth considering whether we associate smoking with a specific place, e.g. room, kitchen, balcony, bus stop, park.
If someone smoked in the apartment, it is worth rearranging it so that it no longer resembles the previous interior. You can move the furniture, buy a new bedspread on the sofa, change the blinds, repaint the walls, hang a poster or a picture. It is better to avoid places where smoking is allowed.
Think about what to do with your free hands.
It is worth having something that will take care of your hands, e.g. an anti-stress ball, an elastic band, a pen, a key ring. You can carry small treats to replace putting a cigarette in your mouth such as: sunflower or pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, sugar-free chewing gums. The problem of the reflex of reaching for a cigarette can also be easier to overcome thanks to a straw or toothpick held in the mouth or in the hand.
You don’t have to put on weight.
This is one of the most common smokers’ fears.
- Indeed, when smokers stop holding a cigarette, they try to replace it with various types of snacks. If you don’t care if they are healthy, you can put on weight. Therefore, to kill the reflex of reaching for a cigarette, it is better to choose, for example, vegetables cut into strips. Such snacks can be arranged in the apartment in places where you usually burned. It is also worth drinking a lot of fluids, especially water.
What will you gain by quitting smoking
You won’t be poisoned! Tobacco smoke is a cocktail of about 7,000 elements and chemicals. Smoking is the primary pathogen for cancer, several dozen cardiological diseases, respiratory system, and other organs.
Special diets or even greater physical activity are not able to compensate for the health damage caused by smoking.
You will be richer. It has been calculated that by smoking a packet of cigarettes a day during 50 years with smoke you will release nearly 77,270 USD Dollar i.e. the equivalent of a luxury limousine.
Smoking cessation and avoiding tobacco smoke is the only effective way to reduce the risk of smoking! This risk will systematically decrease with each hour of abstinence.
Remember that to stop smoking is a process in which your willingness to change is important.
- Once you’ve decided to stop smoking, it’s worth developing a plan. The smoker can choose a day when he will no longer smoke.
- But it can also prepare to stop smoking completely, e.g. by gradually reducing the number of cigarettes smoked, reducing the time of exposure to tobacco smoke,
- avoiding smoking in typical situations,
- changing the type of cigarette, replacing smoking with other activities.
Small successes are motivating, e.g. fewer cigarettes smoked and more time spent on pleasure.
Get professional help.
Consult your doctor about choosing the right products. It’s a good idea to have this consultation a minimum of one week before your cessation date because some medications must be started sooner.
Prejudice your surroundings by giving up smoking and ask for your understanding and support.
Irritability may appear several hours after stopping cigarettes and last up to several weeks.
- Often, the person giving up smoking becomes so irritable and emotionally shaky that it is very onerous for her and for the environment.
- This feeling is sometimes referred to as shivering, jumping from sadness to joy, tearfulness, internal tension. Some even say that “they feel like they are about to explode.”
It also happens that the environment of a person experiencing such states gives advice like: “Better light up if you are to be so upset”, which, unfortunately, often leads to a break in abstinence.
Meanwhile, irritability is a natural symptom in the process of fighting addiction. It is associated with the fact that the nervous system did not receive a dose of the substance (in this case: nicotine), which regulated its functioning.
It takes time to get adapted to the natural regulation of emotions again. Also, the lack of the very act of smoking, a long-term habit, causes nervousness.
- Biological causes of irritability can be significantly reduced by using pharmacological agents that support the process of smoking cessation or mild sedatives. That is why it is worth consulting a doctor or consulting a specialist.
Your mind is the basic strength in the fight against depressed mood.
You must know that to quit smoking is a temporary condition. In times of doubt, remind yourself of why you want to get rid of the addiction. Take care of yourself! Make yourself happy! Reward yourself!
Also Read: HYPERTENSION KILLS SILENTLY